Associate Editor (REMOTE APPLICANTS WELCOME)
Now Hiring an Associate Editor!
The Community Company is seeking a full-time associate editor to join our fast-paced team.
Sound like you? Read more about The Community Company and the job requirements, then apply!
In this role, you’ll work directly under our Director of Content alongside a team of awesome senior and associate editors on a variety of projects — most importantly, working with our incredible members (some of the world’s smartest professionals, startup founders, C-level executives and business owners) to help them publish thought leadership articles for websites including Forbes, Inc. and others.
Who We Are
The Community Company is a provider of community-driven programs for media companies and global brands. Our communities include YEC, a council for the world’s most successful entrepreneurs, and branded councils in partnership with Forbes and Business Journals Leadership Trust.
Responsibilities and Goals
- Editing several dozen articles per week, per various partners’ style guides, often on very tight deadlines. Our writers have different levels of experience, so editing may involve detailed feedback and several rounds of work.
- Regularly meeting with the Director of Content to discuss challenges and successes and report on departmental metrics.
- Delivering content to media partners via content management systems on or before the deadline.
- Overseeing article publication links and providing metrics reports (articles edited, published, etc.)
- Pushing member content live on our various properties daily.
- Updating our editorial queue and calendar.
- Interacting with busy members regarding their submissions in a professional, courteous and helpful way.
- One or more years’ POST-COLLEGE professional copywriting/journalism or editorial experience covering business topics including technology, finance, management and/or marketing.
- Impeccable grammar, spelling and communication skills are a must.
- Solid understanding and experience with AP Style and web publishing.
- Basic HTML knowledge (h2s, links, etc.)
- Experience with WordPress or similar content management system.
- Professional, courteous and drama-free approach to interpersonal communication and author feedback is a MUST.
- Is VERY detail-oriented and naturally inquisitive/critical. Editing requires a strong desire to learn, check facts, and double-check your own work (from word choice to headline capitalization) — preferably using your own careworn dictionary/stylebook.
- Has a strong editorial track record (print or web) — demonstrated experience in content marketing, copywriting, journalism and/or copyediting/proofing.
- Is a team player and personable communicator who can both take feedback w/o ego AND provide the same to our awesome community.
- Has great time and project management skills. Deadlines are not optional.
- Is willing to ask for help when they need it — or, on the flip side, take the lead on a system or process he/she feels they can improve. The right person will adapt the role to them.
- Is a voracious reader who loves behind-the-scenes business reporting. We work with big media players and game-changing C-level execs/founders/professionals/business owners. Your willingness to develop an understanding of the subject matter and tune into trends is crucial to your success.
Salary and Benefits
- Annual salary is $40,000 (to start) with growth opportunities based on performance.
- A growing team with big opportunity
- The chance to develop with a thriving company
- Use new technology & solve interesting problems
- Medical, dental, vision coverage
- 401K with company matching
- 100% remote, work where you want
- Generous paid time off + all major US holidays
Click here to apply. In your cover letter, please include:
- WHY do you want to work for The Community Company?
- WHY are you the perfect fit for the job?
- WHY are you passionate about editing?
(Applications without cover letters addressing these three questions will not be considered.)
Qualified candidates will be asked to take a one-hour editing test to demonstrate baseline knowledge of AP style, editorial discernment, grammar, spelling, etc.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this role and responsibilities may change at any time.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
At The Community Company, we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to promote inclusiveness in everything we do. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
The Community Company is also committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and see. We will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations.