Now Hiring an Associate Editor!
The Community Company is seeking a full-time associate editor to join our fast-paced team. (NOTE: While our team is headquartered in Boston, we are open to remote applicants who fit our needs too.)
In this role, you’ll work directly under our Managing Editor alongside a team of awesome senior and associate editors on a variety of projects — most importantly, working with our incredible members (some of the world’s smartest professionals, startup founders, C-level executives and business owners) to help them publish thought leadership articles for websites including Forbes, Inc. and others.
Responsibilities and Goals
- Editing several dozen articles per week, per various partners’ style guides, often on very tight deadlines. Our writers have different levels of experience, so editing may involve detailed feedback and several rounds of work.
- Regularly meeting with Managing Editor to discuss challenges and successes and report on departmental metrics.
- Delivering content to media partners via content management systems on or before the deadline.
- Overseeing article publication links and providing metrics reports (articles edited, published, etc.).
- Pushing member content live on our various properties daily.
- Updating our editorial queue and calendar.
- Interacting with busy members regarding their submissions in a professional, courteous and helpful way.
Must-Have Skills and Experience
- One or more years’ POST-COLLEGE professional copywriting/journalism or editorial experience covering business topics including technology, finance, management and/or marketing
- Impeccable grammar, spelling and communication skills are a must
- Solid understanding and experience with AP Style and web publishing
- Basic HTML knowledge (h2s, links, etc.)
- Experience with WordPress or similar content management system
- Professional, courteous and drama-free approach to interpersonal communication and author feedback is a MUST
The Ideal Associate Editor …
- Is VERY detail-oriented and naturally inquisitive/critical. Editing requires a strong desire to learn, check facts, and double-check your own work (from word choice to headline capitalization) — preferably using your own careworn dictionary/stylebook.
- Has a strong editorial track record (print or web) — demonstrated experience in content marketing, copywriting, journalism and/or copyediting/proofing.
- Is a team player and personable communicator who can both take feedback w/o ego AND provide the same to our awesome community.
- Has great time and project management skills. Deadlines are not optional.
- Is willing to ask for help when they need it — or, on the flip side, take the lead on a system or process he/she feels they can improve. The right person will adapt the role to them.
- Is a voracious reader who loves behind-the-scenes business reporting. We work with big media players and game-changing C-level execs/founders/professionals/business owners. Your willingness to develop an understanding of the subject matter and tune into trends is crucial to your success.
Salary and Benefits
- Annual salary is $40,000 (to start) with growth opportunities based on performance
- Optional health benefits kick in after a 60-day probationary period (company pays $375/month)
- Optional 401(k) with up to 4% company match
- Paid vacation time for 12 holidays, plus 2 weeks of PTO every year
- Additional vacation time is negotiable based on individual’s performance.
- Location/Hours: Boston-area candidates must be willing to commute to our Back Bay office daily and work 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., except during “Remote Work Fridays.” If you are outside the Boston area, we prefer that you work the same hours so you can attend scheduled meetings and chat with the team, although this is negotiable based on your timezone. Please clarify your needs in the cover letter.
Send your cover letter, resume and writing clips to email@example.com with “The Community Company Associate Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please include:
- WHY do you want to work for The Community Company?
- WHY are you the perfect fit for the job?
- WHY are you passionate about editing?
(Applications without cover letters addressing these three questions will not be considered.)
Qualified candidates will be asked to take a one-hour editing test to demonstrate baseline knowledge of AP style, editorial discernment, grammar, spelling, etc.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this role and responsibilities may change at any time.