Director of Member Communications
Now Hiring a Director of Member Communications
The Community Company is a provider of community-driven programs for media companies and global brands. Our communities include YEC, a council for the world’s most successful entrepreneurs, and branded councils in partnership with Forbes, Ad Age, and American City Business Journals. This role exists to help us build and strengthen the connective tissue between the organization and our members. It is critical to ensuring that members understand the organization and benefits available, and are utilizing membership to find value and choose to renew each year. You make sure that we’re saying the right things about who we are and what we offer, and that members are hearing us and taking action.
The right candidate is strategic, detail-oriented and proactive. You spot new opportunities and fix problems. You write and communicate like the “real-live human” you are, not a professional robot. You are aware of everything happening in the organization and leverage our communications to get members to take action. You thrive in a remote work environment, and welcome both the freedom and responsibility that comes with it. You will report to, and work closely with, the Vice President of Member Retention and Growth, as this role is pivotal in influencing whether or not a member decides to renew.
Responsibilities and Goals
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive communications program across all our communities that shapes how our members perceive us and how they interact with us. Build a smart plan and see it through.
- Learn what we are currently doing across all channels to engage with members, and work on how we can do it better, both from a content and a technical perspective.
- Help optimize email deliverability, open rates, click-thru rates and anything else that helps us reach our members. Find our gaps and close them.
- Get laser-focused on new member onboarding and the first impressions we create. Help develop strategies to get new members activated quickly to improve first-year retention, which is a critical success metric.
- Create smart KPIs for the team, and track month-over-month improvements. Measure everything so we can work smarter.
- Explore new ways of connecting with members – new channels, text messaging, video, etc. We need to reach our members in the manner in which they want to be reached, not just what’s always been done.
- Lead the Communications staff of two awesome people. Help them learn and grow professionally.
- Oversee the accuracy and depth of our member contact information, because we can’t talk to them if we don’t have good ways to reach them.
- Five-to-seven years of experience creating and implementing communication strategies for a for-profit or non-profit organization, with a focus on customer/member value and retention.
- Experience with copy editing, email campaigns, and social media strategy.
- Experience with entrepreneurship, general business topics and local small business communities.
- Experience leading projects across teams.
- Experience in HubSpot, MailChimp, Slack, Hubspot, Trello, Sendible, Confluence, Zendesk.
- Previous remote work and remote team management experience.
Salary and Benefits
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Optional health benefits kick in after a 60-day probationary period (company pays $425-$700/month depending on the plan selected)
- Optional 401(k) with up to 4% company match
- Vacation time for all major holidays, plus 2 weeks of PTO every year
- Additional vacation time is negotiable based on individual’s performance
- Location/Hours: This position is remote for candidates based in the United States.
Please send your resume, cover letter and two writing samples to email@example.com, with subject line “TCC Comm Director.” In your cover letter, please tell us about yourself and answer the following:
- What interests you about this role?
- What excites you most about communications?